Sunday, February 26, 2017

Comp: Three Things That Trouble Me The Most II

Three Things That Trouble Me The Most 2

Teenagers always seem to be trouble makers, like when we don’t follow the rules of adults, but sometimes we only make trouble for ourselves. I am no different. Though I may be a trouble maker to others, there are a few troubles I save for myself, all because of insecurity.  For one, I am always worrying about my height. Another trouble I give myself is my fear of public speaking, and the last is my lack of communication with my parents. You may feel like I do. Let us compare notes.

Is height your problem? I often feel like I am staying short while my friends are growing up.  I do play basketball a lot and drink milk every day.  My father even urges me to drink disgusting medicinal Chinese snake or turtle soup to improve my height, but the miracle cure hasn’t happened yet. Increasing my height would heighten my self-esteem. Though I am 15 years old, my clothes are bought at children’s departments. Sometimes I wonder if I will stay in a ten-year-old body forever. It is not a pretty picture.

Is it my diminutive height that has affected my ability to speak in public? Perhaps! The fear of public speech is the second trouble I give myself.  When an opportunity to address an audience arises, I feel that everyone is waiting to hear my mistakes.  You may not believe it, but I have stage fright. Right this second, my heart is pounding so hard that I can hardly hear my own voice. Can’t you hear it?  You may think I look confident now. Thanks, but you can’t see my legs shivering or feel the sweat rolling down my back.

Blame my fear on the lack of communication I have with my parents.  Don’t get me wrong; I love them, but they don’t like to listen to me. It’s true!  When I try to share my interests with one of them, he or she looks at me blankly and says, “Sorry, Honey.  I am busy working.”  When I get into trouble and want to explain, they say, “We are too angry to listen to you.”  I admit that I am sometimes naughty and my excuses are loquacious, but it should not be so difficult to explain my dilemmas or share happiness with them. It affects my confidence.


These are the three problems that trouble me the most. How I would love to solve my insecurities due to my height and fear of public speaking, perhaps all caused by a lack of communication at home. I know that I should not make excuses; the best way to overcome fear of public speaking is to practice at home, even if no one seems to be listening. Even if I am not tall, my heart is big enough to conquer my problems. And about my parents……if they are sitting in front of me now, listening to my speech, I want to tell them I have a million ideas to share, all because they raised me well, to solve my own problems. If they are listening to me now, they can hear the echo of all the ideals they instilled in me. Thanks to their tough love,  I can solve my own problems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment